As part of the Regional Sport Trust Alliance (RSTA) vision of regional collaboration and participation in sport and physical activity, the four Auckland based RSTs (Sport Waitakere, Harbour Sport, Sport Auckland and Counties Manukau Sport) submitted a joint bid to Sport and Recreation (SPARC) New Zealand for He Oranga Poutama (HOP) to cover the Greater Auckland Region in April 2009. This bid was successful and Sport Waitakere are the lead agency managing the administration and operations of He Oranga Poutama.
The "new look" programme commenced on 1 October 2009 with the appointment of the HOP Manager and the Kaiwhakahaere. The team is lead by Wiremu Mato. The three Kaiwhakahaere employed are:
• Karla Matua - based at Sport Auckland
• Jamie Tukerangi-George - based at Counties Manukau Sport
• Rocky Tahuri - based at Sport Waitakere and Harbour Sport
The team has three strategic areas;
• Kaiwhakahaere participating as leaders in their community
• Increased opportunities to participate in sport and traditional physical recreation
• Development and the revitalisation of sport and traditional physical recreation
with the view to focus within five key settings, Te Kohanga Reo/Puna Reo, Kura Kaupapa, Whare Kura, Marae and Māori Sports Organisations. To find out more about the five key settings, click here.